The Leonid Meteor Event peaks around November 18 each year.
The above image is an animated GIF (it might need to be opened in a new window to activate). This simulates a
strong meteor shower. It may be copied and used for education purposes - reference to this page would
- 2 Nov 09 Space.com: Strong Leonid Meteor Shower Expected Nov 17
- 17 Nov 07 Space.com: Leonid Meteor Shower Peaks This Weekend
- 12 Nov 07 Armagh Observatory: The Leonid Meteors 2007 - It has been calculated that there will be no big meteor storm during
this year's Leonid shower!
- 18 Nov 06 Space.com: Viewer's Guide: The 2006 Leonid Meteor Shower - [the peak] encounter is predicted for Nov. 19 at 4:45 UT. Armagh Observatory predictions - unfortunately it will be about 4pm in Sydney and the sky won't be dark for another 4 hours.
- 19 Oct 06 Space.com: Strong Leonid Meteor Shower Expected Nov 18
- 16 Nov 04 David Asher: Prospects for
the Leonid Meteors November 2004.
- 15 Nov 04 Space.com: The
Leonid Meteor Shower 2004: Modest Peak Expected Nov. 16-19.
- 21 Nov 03 Space.com: Leonid
Meteor Shower Disappoints in 2003
- 17 Nov 03 Weather forecast for Sydney not looking good AND the
estimated rate is low (NASA estimator)
- 12 Nov 03 IMO: Leonid
predictions for 2003 - download the PDF
by Vaubaillon, Lyytinen, Nissinen, and Asher (CC)
- 12 Nov 03 NASA: The
meteor shower is coming. Twice.
- 16 Nov 02 IMO: Amateur's
reporting form for International Meteor Organization (CC)
- 15 Nov 02 TPS: The
Shower November 18-19, 2002.
- 15 Nov 02 THE
PREDICTIONS FOR 2002 (PDF) (CC)
- 15 Nov 02 Space.com: 10
Little-Known Facts about the Leonids + Catch
a Shooting Star with Meteor
Hunter, Dr. Peter Jenniskens + NASA
Releases Palm-OS Software to Count Leonid Meteors. + Listen
to the Leonids + Leonid
Meteor Shower Has Begun!
- 15 Nov 02 NASA: NASA
PREPARES FOR "LAST CHANCE" METEOR SHOWER. (NNN)
- 4 Nov 02 Space.com: Global
& Local Forecasts for the 2002 Leonid Meteor Shower.
- 13 Oct 02 NASA: 2002
Leonid Meteor Storm Forecast
- 8 Jan 02 Popular Mechanics: Leonids
Cause Visible Lunar Explosions
- 29 Nov 01 ESA: ESA
capture the Lion's offspring Down Under.
- 27 Nov 01 NASA: Listening
- 22 Nov 01 ESA
scientists listen to the Leonids, Space.com: A
Grand Diversion: The 2001 Leonid Meteor Shower in Words & Pictures.
- 17 Nov 01 Guardian: Astronomers
are gearing up for one of the greatest shows on Earth By Duncan
- 16 Nov 01 Space.com: Defying
Prediction: What You Can Really Expect From the 2001 Leonid Shower.
- 16 Nov 01 ESA: ESA
Search For Shooting Stars In The Southern Hemisphere.
- 15 Nov 01 ABC: GREAT
BALLS OF FIRE? LEONIDS 2001 - Australian guide.
- 15 Nov 01: Sydney weather
good for the Leonids :( Saturday : Chance
showers/storms. N/NWwinds. Sunday: Showers/rain.
Fresh S'ly change [might briefly clear the skies] . Trend for
Tuesday and Wednesday: Cooler with a few
showers; clearing Tuesday...Update on 17 Nov:
: Afternoon showers/chance thunderstorms. Late S'ly
Monday : Showers. S/SE winds. :<(
- 13 Nov 01 Sunday Telegraph - NASA
BATTENS DOWN HATCHES FOR METEORS (CC)
- 9 Nov 01 NASA SN: JAW-DROPPING
LEONIDS + Space.com: MILITARY
SATELLITES BRACE FOR LEONID METEOR SHOWER (CC)
- 8 Nov 01 Space.com: Earth
Orbiting Satellites Brace for Leonid Meteor Shower.
- 7 Nov 01 Space.com: Leonid
Meteor Storm! When, Where and How to Watch. (NNN)
- 7 Nov 01 SpaceDaily: LEONID
METEOR SHOWER COULD BE ONE OF BEST IN HISTORY.(CC)
- 3 Nov 01 Wired News: COMING
SOON: SPECTACULAR METEORS (CC)
- 30 Oct 01 Space.com: The
2001 (Leonids) Storm: How It Compares to History - updated story
info and links.
- 18 Oct 01 Discovery: BLAST
FROM THE PAST (CC)
- 12 Oct 01 SpaceDaily: LEONID
METEORS LIKELY TO STORM THIS NOVEMBER - A burst lasting perhaps
two hours is expected in the predawn hours of November 18th for
throughout most of North and Central America. The maximum rates should
occur at 5:00 a.m. EST (corresponding to 4:00 a.m. CST, 3:00 a.m. MST,
2:00 a.m. PST). With no moonlight spoiling the view, the storm may
generate anywhere from several hundred to 1,000 or 2,000 meteors per
for observers with clear, dark skies. An even bigger storm arrives
later for viewers rimming the far-western Pacific Ocean. Because these
locations are on the other side of the International Date Line, this
occurs before dawn on November 19th. Several
meteors may streak across the sky for an hour or so starting at 3:30 or
4:30 a.m. in eastern Australia (depending on location); 2:30
in Japan; and 1:30 a.m. in western Australia, the Philippines, and
China. (thanks CCnet)
- 9 Oct 01 Times: METEOR
STORM 'WILL BE WORST SINCE 1966'.
- 25 Sep 01 Nature: NOVEMBER'S
LEONID METEOR SHOWER COULD CAUSE COMMUNICATIONS HAVOC (CC).
- 11 Aug 01 SciAm: Perseid
Meteor Shower Sets the Stage for November's Leonids.
- 23 Nov 2000 NASA:
LEONIDS GALORE - Predictions by Rob McNaught and David Asher
- 18 Nov 2000 Space.com: Satellites,
Station Readied for Leonid Meteor Shower.
- 15 Nov 2000 Space.com: The
Leonids, Coming This Weekend to Skies Near You.
- 12 Oct 2000 Inscight: The
Moonlit Leonids 2000 (storms predicted for 2001 & 2002).
- 21 Mar 2000 Marshall
Engineers Undertake Real-Life ‘Mission’ To Protect NASA Spacecraft,
in Event of Damage
- 23 Dec 1999 The
right stuff .
- 19 Nov 1999: Leonids - after the storm
Send suggestions for this page to Michael
Last update - see news items
Return to Australian Spaceguard Survey