Vehicle Design & Research - Australia
Road Safety Links
Top of page
Vehicle roadworthiness projects have included:
Reports related to vehicle roadworthiness include:
- Development of vehicle inspection standards and procedures
- Assessment of equipment for inspecting vehicles
- Managing surveys of vehicle roadworthiness
- Brake testing using portable roller brake test equipment
- Michael Paine planned and managed the implementation of the
NSW Heavy Vehicle Inspection Scheme in the early 1980s. This included
resources planning; preparation of itineraries to serve rural areas;
introduction of a "toll
free" telephone booking service (one of the first to use toll-free
in Australia); location, design and construction of several heavy
inspection stations; financial projections and fee setting (using
on an early HP desktop computer - pre IBM) and staff and industry
- "Light vehicle brake study" for NSW RTA (Sydney Region),
- "Contribution of vehicle defects to crashes" prepared for
- "Mobile Safety Checks of Light Vehicles" prepared for NSW
Roads & Traffic Authority (RTA), January 1995.
Guidelines for Assessment of Defective Vehicles" - discussion paper
prepared for Austroads/NRTC, June 95. Adopted as national policy.
- "Specification for the Provision of Inspection Services" for
Dept of Urban Services, 1996.
- ACT Vehicle Inspection Manual for Authorised Inspection
- Vehicle roadworthiness and accidents
- submission to Victorian Parliament Road Safety Committee, April 2000.
This has extracts from the above reports.
- 29 Oct 13 Telegraph: Truck cuts safety fears
- "...plan to cut 21 team leader positions from the heavy vehicle
inspection team". I have scanned several documents associated with the
introduction of the NSW Heavy Vehicle Inspection Scheme (HVIS) in 1985:
Vehicle Swept paths and dimension limits
- 1977-1990 Contributing the national and state reviews of vehicle dimension limits
- 1978-1980 Development of a computer program to simulate complex
vehicle swept paths using an early HP desktop computer. This was used
to evaluate proposed chnages to vehicle dimension limnits and also to
design vehicle inspection facilities (to ensure large vehicles wouldbe
able to maneouvre into and out of the inspection area)
- 1979 Preparation of a report: A Review of Dimension Limits applying to Trailers and Semi-trailers.
Top of page
- Preparation of a specification for a stationary noise test
for the RTA (early 1980s)
"Cash for Clunkers" - analysis of strategies for dealing
with older, high-polluting vehicles, for NRMA, 1995
- "Analysis of Australian In-service Vehicle Emissions Data"
for NRMA, 1996.
- Review of emission and noise testing techniques as part of
the preparation of a new ACT Inspection Manual, 1998.
- GREEN CAR GUIDE: DRAFT RATING PROTOCOL - Prepared for NSW Sustainable Development Authority April 2000. Includes rating electric vehicles. Project report also available.
- EPA of NSW: Clean
Cars for NSW - green car rating system with tax
Covers greenhouse and health emissions. VDR carried out research for
- Dept Environment and Conservation (DEC) NSW - emissions
from small portable engines (lawnmowers, brushcutters, marine
- Comparative Assessment of the Environmental Performance of Small Engines - Outdoor Garden Equipment - Prepared for
Department of the Environment and Water Resources 2007
Experience with programming mainframes, PCs and Mac (OS X &
Applescript). Services include data
modelling sessions; preparation of specifications; development of
relational databases; programming; installation and staff training.
Data processing services include complete survey services (design of
forms, staff training, etc), data entry, data processing and data
analysis (including statistical analysis and preparation of
cross-tabulations, charts and reports).
Top of page
VDR can assist with project planning. Services include project
definition, identification of tasks and priorities, allocation of
resources and expenses, preparation of Gantt and network charts,
tracking progress and reviewing
estimates. VDR has planned and undertaken several projects related to
engineering including surveys of vehicle roadworthiness, assessment of
related to vehicle safety and reviews of vehicle construction
Top of page