* "climate change" is a euphemism introduced by opponents of government action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, to make the situation sound less threatening than "global warming". See the links below for the tactics of lobby groups who have a vested interest in maintaining unsustainable consumption of fossil fuels.
- 13 Nov 14 SMH: US-China climate deal puts pressure on Tony Abbott
- 10 Jun 14 SMH: Tony Abbott missing signs of world's switch to carbon trading, experts say + Tony Abbott seeks alliance to thwart President Obama on climate change policy [This shameful act is reminescent of John Howard undermining climate talks in 2000]
- Sep 2013 - Tony Abbott is elected at Prime Minister of Australia on the mantra that the carbon tax will be abolished... despite... Hottest year [on record for Australia] shows need for carbon tax
- 26 Jun 13 SMH: Obama unveils sweeping climate plan - the world does not have time for “a meeting of the flat earth society” before it acts on climate change
- 3 Jul 12 ABC: Judge for yourselves on carbon tax, Gillard tells voters + Carbon tax 'economically efficient': Garnaut. Carbon pricing explained.
- 27 Apr 12 Scientific American: U.S. Voters Favor Regulating CO2
- 22 Oct 11 Scientific American: Different Method, Same Result: Global Warming Is Real - Independent analysis confirms earlier results but aims for greater transparency.
- 14 Oct 11 BBC: Australia parliament passes divisive carbon tax
- 23 Aug 11 Scientific American: Australia Passes CO2 Offset Laws, Carbon Pricing Next - Opinion: unfortunately masterful scaremongering by media people and some politicians means that Australians do not understand the intentions and effects of a carbon tax. The situation has effectively become a witch-hunt with reptilian instincts aroused and rational decision-making discarded.
- Australian Academy of Sciences: The Science of Climate Change: Questions and Answers - by Australia's peak science organisation [eminent scientists with no vested interest in the energy industry]
- 11 Dec 10: I have a suggestion for the skeptical politicians. Every developed country that refuses to implement effective climate-change polices should be required to enter into a future contract that requires their nations to pay for the effects of climate change on poorer nations. In other words, if they are that confident that there will be no human-induced climate change (or no serious consequences) then they should be repared to make a commitment to repair some of the damage, if they are proved wrong in coming decades.
- 17 Dec 2007 Daily Telegraph: [Australian Senator] Penny Wong's way is the right way for Bali roadmap. Something Australians can be proud of - at last.
- ...and then in the June 08 budget they scrap a solar panel rebate for most families! Petition: "WE, THE UNDERSIGNED, CALL ON THE [AUSTRALIAN] FEDERAL GOVERNMENT TO SCRAP THE MEANS TEST ON THE SOLAR PANEL REBATE."
- 13 Aug 09: More shame from the Liberal/National coalition - now in opposition.
There are dozens of articles on this subject appearing every week. The following list is just a personal and somewhat random selection. Check out the links for many more.
Update 27 Nov 2000
Opinion: The Australian Government contributed to the collapse of the climate talks in The Hague. I am sure that the majority of Australians disagree with the stand taken by the Howard Government but it is evident that vested interests have prevailed. This government's apparent disregard for future generations is reprehensible. On the same day that former Environment Minister Robert Hill was scuttling the climate agreement in The Hague the Australian Prime Minister John Howard was touring northern New South Wales viewing the damage from the worst flooding in decades. This flooding is not necessarily linked to global warming but, as with other recent flooding around the globe, shows clearly how sensitive our economy is to climate extremes - extremes that will become greater under the effects of global warming.
23 Sep 01 (Not an item to be proud of) Engineers Australia: Australians are the worst greenhouse gas polluters in the industrialised world.... Update: Sorry URL no longer available - here is an extract:
Puzzled by reports of the US and other countries having the coldest winter for decades? See this article from EurekaAlert: The eastern U.S. keeps its cool while the world warms (updated URL) (also here) - warming oceans produce more cloud over the US (+ Higher ocean temperatures linked to cooling in Midwest) . Livescience.com: How Global Warming Can Chill the Planet. Some of the think tank organisations are misleadingly using this effect to question global warming.
Try this at home - experiment with a hot bath
Two or three degrees of warming does not sound like much - every day
the temperature fluctuates much more than this. But it is the
devastastion caused by unrelenting record peak temperatures that is a
major concern. To get a good idea of the effects of small peak temperature increases try this with a bath at home:
The japanese enjoy a hot bath - known as onsen where natural hot
spring water is used. Onsen have temperatures controlled to within a
degree or so and there is good reason for such tight temperature
Fill the bath with hot water so that it is 38C (maybe use a medical thermometer). Try immersing yourself in the bath (but not your head). Most people find this hot but tolerable. Now increase the temperature to 40C. Immerse yourself again. Many people will find this uncomfortably hot. Try it again at 42C and your body will probably find it much too hot.
OK, water heats your body up much more quickly than air, but this demonstrates how sensitive life is to temperatures slighly higher than "normal". No wonder thousands of birds dropped dead from trees in Western Australia during the hot weather event that devasted Ningaloo coral reef recently.
Thinking about water analogies, the "debate" is a bit like putting a
pan of water on the stove. The hotplate is on and the water is heating
up but the "deniers" say that the warming is due to the ambient
temperature (because the water coming out of the tap was colder than
the air) - at what stage are they prepared to accept that the hotplate
is on (and we have the ability to turn it off).
For a succinct description of the problem of global warming read chapter 11 of Carl Sagan's last book "Billions and Billions" and chapter 4 of Cosmos - "Heaven and Hell" (extract) that was written in 1980. See also Carl Sagan's Baloney Detection Kit - particularly before you click on the following links!
18 Oct 08 Opinion: Would these same organisation claim that the current stock market turmoil is cyclic and that there is no reason for government intervention?