* "climate change" is a euphemism introduced by opponents of government and corporate action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, to make the situation sound less threatening than "global warming" or the more accurate "global heating". See the links below for the tactics of lobby groups who have a vested interest in maintaining unsustainable consumption of fossil fuels.
Political Alerts from 2007 (latest at top)
- 13 Sep 20 ABC: NAB chief's enlightening answer under questioning by Federal MP Craig Kelly on Australian coal.
- 3 Sep 20 The Greens: Stealing from climate to give to the polluters. (see these news items: Government’s push for a gas-fired recovery crumble as Suncorp cuts ties to industry & Hopes of a gas boom fizzle)
- 2 Sep 20 The Guardian: Climate crisis: business, farming and environment leaders unite to warn Australia 'woefully unprepared'.
- 21 May 20 The Conversation: Morrison government dangles new carrots for industry but fails to fix bigger climate policy problem.
- 19 May 20 ABC: Australia’s most senior former public servants and scientists reveal their anger about climate policy failure + Four Corners: Climate Wars
- 20 Feb 20 News.com: ‘Cosmos: Possible Worlds’ makers accuse PM Scott Morrison of being ‘woefully dishonest’ on climate change
- 20 Feb 20 The Guardian: Anthony Albanese backs Adani coalmine but criticises proposed Collinsville power plant [Labor capitulates!]
- 20 Feb 20 Brisbane Times: Adani gave $200,000 to Coalition weeks after securing approvals.
- 15 Jan 20 Australian Academy of Sciences: Statement regarding Australian bushfires + What is climate change?
- 15 Jan 20 Climate Council of Australia: The facts about bushfires and climate change
- 13 Jan 20 New Scientist: Australian government report predicted severe wildfires 11 years ago.
- 14 Dec 19 ABC: Liberal MPs Matt Kean and Sussan Ley link bushfires to climate change - "...do our bit to abate carbon and reduce the impact of climate change..."
- 15 Nov 19 The Conversation: When the firies call him out on climate change, Scott Morrison should listen.
- 19 Oct 19 ABC: John Hewson slams Coalition on climate change while business takes lead reducing emissions.
- 12 Oct 19 Climate Change Protests Australia - Lists protests around Australia
- 30 Sep 19 ABC: We fact checked Scott Morrison's speech to the United Nations. Here's what we found.
- 28 Sep 19 ABC: ABC: David Attenborough slams Australian PM on climate record
- 25 Sep 19 The Conversation: Highly touted UN climate summit failed to deliver - and Scott Morrison failed to show up.
- 24 Sep 19 The Guardian: Greta Thunberg condemns world leaders in emotional speech at UN - Comment: Maybe the young generation should declare that if (when) they inherit the effects of rapid global warming in coming decades they will seek compensation from those currently in power - reparation for climate change inaction. Update: Draft "How dare you" declaration - for discussion.
- 20 Sep 19 Climate Strike around Australia (e.g Sydney Domain at noon) + The Guardian: 'Going to the streets again': what you need to know about Friday's climate strike + Greta Thunberg to Congress: ‘You’re not trying hard enough. Sorry’ + Perhaps we need to explain climate change to politicians as we would to very small children + The Conversation: The gloves are off: ‘predatory’ climate deniers are a threat to our children - by Tim Flannery
- 18 Sep 19 The Guardian: Josh Frydenberg overruled department to block Lord Howe Island wind turbines [in 2017 - "At the time, [Alan] Jones was regularly railing against windfarm projects..."
- 12 Sep 19 ABC: Malcolm Turnbull says renewables plus storage are cheaper than coal and nuclear for new power generation. Is he correct? (note this does not take into account "frequency control ancillary services" or FCAS - the SA Telsa battery is saving costs of more than $100 million per year)
- 19 Aug 19 The Guardian: Australia removes climate 'crisis' from Pacific islands draft declaration.
- 27 Jul 19 ABC: Have you got climate zombies? We debunk the myths that refuse to die:
- CO2 doesn't cause warming - see also this timeline
- It's Milankovitch cycles
- There's been a 5? 10? 20? year pause in warming
- It's a natural cycle, man
- Plants grow better with more CO2 anyway
- It was warmer during the Medieval Warm Period
- But the world's been colder before when CO2 levels were higher
- Climate science is a conspiracy of the 'elites' (or China or ....)
- CO2 has historically followed, not caused warming
- Climate scientists are only in it for the moneySee also The Conversation: Five climate change science misconceptions – debunked
- 9 Jul 2019 The Guardian [more shame]: Australia's emissions reach the highest on record, driven by electricity sector.
- 6 Jun 19 ABC: Australia's greenhouse gas emissions rise again, according to delayed Federal Government data.
- 20 May 19 ABC: Election 2019: What happened to the climate change vote we heard about? [fear and greed!]
- 13 May 19: BBC Doco on Youtube: Climate Change - the Facts - with David Attenborough, Michael Mann, James Hansen and many other respected scientists "This is a must watch for everyone who cares about our planet"
- 23 Apr 19 SMH: On the road with the two faces of Zali Steggall - documents the misinformation being spread by spooked Abbott supporters and quotes Zali on the costs of transitioning to a low-carbon economy: “the reality is the cost of inaction is far greater than the cost of action. We know renewables do not need subsidies, so I don’t understand why a COALition government which is about small government and competitive forces is promoting a policy that is about subsidies to an industry. The benefit to our economy of transitioning is so much more than the cost of not.”
- 9 Feb 19 The Saturday Paper: The Stop Adani Convoy [Feb 2019] by Bob Brown - he uses the term "global heating"
- 17 Jan 19 The Conversation: 35 degree days make blackouts more likely, but new power stations won’t help - "Contrary to the impression the politicians and media might give, it’s very unlikely the outage will have been caused by a lack of power supply – whether coal, gas or renewable. So be sceptical when a hot-headed politician tells you the solution is their preferred energy generation technology. Neither a new coal-fired power station nor a giant solar-fed battery will keep the power on if your local network fails."
- Dec 18 The Saturday Paper: Inside the economics of Snowy 2.0.
- 8 Oct 18 - I am stunned and ashamed! SMH: Former official criticises Angus Taylor over 'extraordinary' coal protection measure - "Energy Minister Angus Taylor is considering indemnifying new coal projects from their future carbon risk as part of the government's plan to underwrite new "reliable" electricity generation." - In my view this amounts to generational vandalism because, in effect, future taxpayers will have to pay for coal-fired power stations to emit more CO2 - the same generations who will be severely affected by unchecked global warming. This goes far beyond the decades of shameful undermining of world efforts to reduce global warming by conservative governments (see the list below)
- 10 Oct 18 ABC: Environment Minister rejects top scientists' advice on phasing out coal, after UN's warning
- 3 Oct 18 - South Australia's Telsa big battery is exceeding expectations for stabilising the grid and is doing this at much lower cost than conventional (coal/gas) sources - Prime Minister Morrison previously compared it with the Big Banana and other government ministers have also derided it.
- 13 Sep 18 ABC: New Zealand's politicians just came up with a good [climate] plan — together
- 11 Sep 18 ABC: There's a certain Trump-like quality to Australia's discourse on emissions reductions - these reassurances are at completely at odds with the Government's own official advice
- 24 Aug 18 - Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull dumped by right-wing opponents of emission reduction targets
- 18 Aug 18 ABC: Malcolm Turnbull dumps plan to legislate Paris emissions targets - but there is a glimmer of hope - Craig (Coal at all Costs) Kelly :"... The great concern is if you put it in regulation, that gives a future Labor party, a minister, just by a tick of a pen or a stroke of a pen to change the regulation and put the target up higher..." - this was the point made by Ken Baldwin in an article in The Conversation: The renewable energy train is unstoppable. The NEG needs to get on board - "the politically charged emissions reduction target needs to be set not in legislation but by regulation, so that it can easily be used as a dial to tune the level of ambition. Any future government could then ramp up the electricity sector’s emissions target beyond 26%..." + The Conversation: Turnbull dumps emissions legislation to stop rebels crossing the floor. [Update: It now seems any emissions target by regulation is to be dropped!]
- 22 Apr 18 ABC: Labor warns Government's National Energy Guarantee will lead to renewables lag
- 24 Feb 17 The Saturday Paper ($): Malcolm Turnbull’s switch on power sources - "First, clean coal is not actually very clean ( see this diagram). Even the best available technology was incompatible with meeting Australia’s current greenhouse gas reduction target...During last week’s heatwave, the NSW energy grid came perilously close to disaster. Two of four units at the 45-year-old Liddell coal power station had broken down – again. Then two big gas-fired generators went off. There was not much help coming from the interconnector with Queensland, which had its own heatwave to worry about. Nor much from the Victorian interconnector. Wind, solar and particularly pumped hydroelectric power saved the day. But don’t expect to hear too much about it from the government."
- 10 Nov 16 NewSci: President Trump means we can’t escape a dangerously warmer world.
- 27 Aug 16 ABC Science Show: Response to rapidly changing climate - deflect, distract, deny and delay
- 13 Aug 16 The Age: John Church and the rising ocean - Described as the “Don Bradman of sea-level science”, John Church’s sacking from the CSIRO left many observers gobsmacked. Can we – Australia and the rest of the planet – really afford to let him go? .. "Australia has a huge coastline ... few countries could benefit more from an accurate understanding of sea-level rise."
- 14 May 16 SMH - more shame for Australia: Global sea-level expert John Church made to walk the plank by CSIRO - For John Church, a leading authority on sea-level rise caused by global warming, there was much that was fitting – and yet callous – about being sacked at sea + Nature: Australian climate job cuts leave hole in Southern Hemisphere research.
- 24 Mar 16 SMH: Malcolm Turnbull's green shift another blow to Tony Abbott
- 10 Nov 15 NewSci: Australia can go green and have economic growth – if it wants to - Australia can continue to grow its economy by relying heavily on agriculture and mining, while also slashing emissions and improving the natural environment. But smart government policies will be key...
- 6 Aug 15 SMH: Windfarm 'wing nuts': Public health expert takes aim at activists + Adani and Commonwealth Bank part ways, casting further doubt on Carmichael coal project.
- 23 Jul 15 SciAm: Sea Level Could Rise at Least 6 Meters ( with list of affected northern hemisphere cities - see also Sydney , Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast and Newcastle - from my tsunami awareness page)
- 21 Jul 15 NewSci: Australian PM bans renewable energy body from investing in wind (more shame) + The Saturday Paper: Abbott's campaign to kill renewable energy sector.
- 16 Feb 15 ABC: Climate change booklet aims to dispel confusion, misinformation + Australian Academy of Science: The science of climate change: Questions and answers.
- 9 Dec 14 BBC: Australia worst performer on climate change - report
- 13 Nov 14 SMH: US-China climate deal puts pressure on Tony Abbott
- 10 Jun 14 SMH: Tony Abbott missing signs of world's switch to carbon trading, experts say + Tony Abbott seeks alliance to thwart President Obama on climate change policy [This shameful act is reminescent of John Howard undermining climate talks in 2000]
- Sep 2013 - Tony Abbott is elected at Prime Minister of Australia on the mantra that the carbon tax will be abolished... despite... Hottest year [on record for Australia] shows need for carbon tax
- 26 Jun 13 SMH: Obama unveils sweeping climate plan - the world does not have time for “a meeting of the flat earth society” before it acts on climate change
- 3 Jul 12 ABC: Judge for yourselves on carbon tax, Gillard tells voters + Carbon tax 'economically efficient': Garnaut. Carbon pricing explained.
- 27 Apr 12 Scientific American: U.S. Voters Favor Regulating CO2
- 22 Oct 11 Scientific American: Different Method, Same Result: Global Warming Is Real - Independent analysis confirms earlier results but aims for greater transparency.
- 14 Oct 11 BBC: Australia parliament passes divisive carbon tax
- 23 Aug 11 Scientific American: Australia Passes CO2 Offset Laws, Carbon Pricing Next - Opinion: unfortunately masterful scaremongering by media people and some politicians means that Australians do not understand the intentions and effects of a carbon tax. The situation has effectively become a witch-hunt with reptilian instincts aroused and rational decision-making discarded.
- Australian Academy of Sciences: The Science of Climate Change: Questions and Answers - by Australia's peak science organisation [eminent scientists with no vested interest in the energy industry]
- 11 Dec 10: I have a suggestion for the skeptical politicians. Every developed country that refuses to implement effective climate-change polices should be required to enter into a future contract that requires their nations to pay for the effects of climate change on poorer nations. In other words, if they are that confident that there will be no human-induced climate change (or no serious consequences) then they should be repared to make a commitment to repair some of the damage, if they are proved wrong in coming decades.
- 13 Aug 09 ABC: Doomed emissions bill fuels election talk - Australia nearly had an emissions trading scheme. More shame from the Liberal/National COALition - now in opposition.
- 17 Dec 2007 Daily Telegraph: [Australian Senator] Penny Wong's way is the right way for Bali roadmap.
There are dozens of articles on this subject appearing every week. The following list is just a personal and somewhat random selection. Check out the links for many more.
Update 27 Nov 2000
Opinion: The Australian Government contributed to the collapse of the climate talks in The Hague. I am sure that the majority of Australians disagree with the stand taken by the Howard Government but it is evident that vested interests have prevailed. This government's apparent disregard for future generations is reprehensible. On the same day that former Environment Minister Robert Hill was scuttling the climate agreement in The Hague the Australian Prime Minister John Howard was touring northern New South Wales viewing the damage from the worst flooding in decades. This flooding is not necessarily linked to global warming but, as with other recent flooding around the globe, shows clearly how sensitive our economy is to climate extremes - extremes that will become greater under the effects of global warming.
23 Sep 01 (Not an item to be proud of) Engineers Australia: Australians are the worst greenhouse gas polluters in the industrialised world.... Update: Sorry URL no longer available - here is an extract:
Puzzled by reports of the US and other countries having the coldest winter for decades? See this article from EurekaAlert: The eastern U.S. keeps its cool while the world warms (updated URL) (also here) - warming oceans produce more cloud over the US (+ Higher ocean temperatures linked to cooling in Midwest) . Livescience.com: How Global Warming Can Chill the Planet. Some of the think tank organisations are misleadingly using this effect to question global warming.
For a succinct description of the problem of global warming read chapter 11 of Carl Sagan's last book "Billions and Billions" and chapter 4 of Cosmos - "Heaven and Hell" (extract) that was written in 1980. See also Carl Sagan's Baloney Detection Kit - particularly before you click on the following links!
18 Oct 08 Opinion: Would these same organisation claim that the current stock market turmoil is cyclic and that there is no reason for government intervention?