McCrossin's Mill Museum
and Thunderbolt Gallery


Uralla Historical Society
Salisbury Street
Uralla NSW 2358
Phone & Fax - 02 6778 3022

   The Mill may be found by turning to the east at Thunderbolt's Statue on Bridge Street Uralla & is found on the left hand side of Salisbury Street half way along the first block. McCrossin's Mill Museum is one of the town's main attractions, and is located in a beautifully restored three-storey flour mill built of brick and granite in 1870 by Samuel McCrossin who opened the town's first inn around 1850. The ground floor and the gardens are available for functions, while the upper two floors house exhibitions focused on Uralla's local history - 'Thunderbolt the bushranger', 'the wool industry', 'gold mining' (including a replica Chinese joss house) and an aboriginal diorama. Recent additions feature some of our more important citizens Corporal Cecil Stokes and the sportsmen 'Sunny' Jim Mackay and Edward Tricket. Adjacent are some old stables built in the 1860s in association with McCrossin's Post Office and Store which was located where a supermarket is now situated. The museum contains a Thunderbolt exhibition, including an effigy of his body on the table the corpse was actually laid out upon in 1870.

   McCrossin's Mill Museum is regarded, in official Museum circles, as one of the best Volunteer run Museum in Australia. A highlight of the museum is a series of 9 large paintings by Phillip Pomroy portraying the last hours of "Thunderbolt". These are based on the report of Constable Walker who shot "Thunderbolt" at Kentucky Creek on the 25th May 1870. There is also much other valuable Thunderbolt memorabilia which is well worth a visit when in Uralla.

   Many visitors comment that there is something very different about McCrossin's Mill and that the exhibitions, and indeed the buildings and gardens, have "personality".

   Displaying many pieces not seen at other museums, a visit to McCrossin's Mill is sure to surprise you. Offering you three levels of memorabilia, displays and history, McCrossin's Mill is bound to leave you being touched by the hard work and continuous efforts of the Uralla Historical Society and its many generous volunteers.

   This has evolved over the years because of all the love, dedication and creativity that so many people have voluntarily poured into the place.

  • Uralla Historical Society Home Page.
  • The Legend of Captain Thunderbolt as writen by Arnold Goode of Uralla
  • Review of Books on Thunderbolt's life.
  • Fact sheet on the Death of Thunderbolt
  • Answers to Uralla Historical Society Comments.        New information -1st November, 2010
  • Facts about Thunderbolt's Inquest
  • Significent Thunderbolt Dates
  • ***********************************

    Uralla Historical Society Committee

    President & Research Officer Arnold Goode 02 6778 4356 (Ah)
    Director: Kent Mayo 02 6778 4555
    Treasurer: Peter Feitz 02 6778 4732 (AH)
    Catering Co-ordinator: Annie Mayo 02 6778 4555

    Phone during opening hours (02) 6778 3022

    ***********************************

    Hours of Operation

    Open Daily 12 noon - 5.00pm
    Weekends/Holidays 10.00am - 5.00pm
    or by appointment, for bus tours or school groups, outside these hours.

    ***********************************

    Current Admission Prices - subject to change

    Adults - $6.00
    Concessions - $4.00
    Children - $3.00
    Family - $15.00

    Wheelchair Access

    Email : barrymor@tpg.com.au

    Click here for further information on Thunderbolt.

    Last updated on Wednesday, August 11th, 2010