My favourite web sites
This page provides links to some interesting web sites [links work as at 3 August 2008, although I haven't checked currency of the links since then].
Some Genealogy Sites
- From the National Archives of Ireland Home Page you click the button for on-line databases for the Ireland to Australia convict transportation index 1791-1868. This wonderful gift by the Irish government to Australia for our bicentenary is on-line, thanks to the generosity of the Irish government.
However users should note that the database is incomplete in that certain types of records are not present. Many Irish convicts transported to Australia will not be mentioned in the database. If you want more information on what's in and what's not click here first
- Lesley Uebel's Claim a Convict site, which has lots of convictand other information and links to other interesting sites
- The LDS's Family Search Home Page, a wonderful resource
- George Bell's Original Indexes for the North-East of England are a unique resource. It was through George's indexes that I made a breakthrough after a decade and obtained an 1816 newspaper account of the trial of one of my convict ancestors. The convict story is told in Sixpence. Sadly, George has passed away, but his work is available at Ancestral Indexes eShop
- State Library of Victoria, which has a wonderful online multimedia catalogue.
- National Archives of Australia
- Roots Surname List Name Finder
- Genealogy Today genealogical software and services
- Association for Gravestone Studies Home Page
- Australian Family History Compendium
- Informit part of RMIT University, which sells CD Rom databases such as the index to births, deaths and marriages in Australia (to the extent currently available). Follow the links to Products, then Genealogy
Some Genealogy Newsgroups
Check out these newsgroups:
Some other interesting sites
- State Library of Tasmania
- Australasian Legal Information Institute
Hammell Home page; About me; About our ancestors.
©   Sid Hammell 12 October 1995: last updated 3 August 2008
Comments to email@example.com