OPEN WAGONS once used on the WOLGAN VALLEY RAILWAY

Go to the bottom of this page for links to other pages on this web site.

The following vehicles have been identified:
"Dreadnought" bogie open wagons:
Capacity: 25 tons
Count: 18 vehicles
Road and registration numbers: #101 - #113, #115 - #119
  • 25 vehicles were built new by Metropolitan Amalgamated Railway Carriage and Wagon Co. Ltd., Birmingham (Lancaster works order #8234 of 1908), but only 18 assembled as such by Clyde Engineering Co. Ltd.
    (One frame used for Box Van (which see) and six used for "Long Tom" tank wagons (which see).)
  • Eleven vehicles (that were stored at works) were sold to AI&S, Port Kembla, in 1940.
  • Six others were stored at Newnes Junction - disposal is not known.
  • One vehicle had the body burnt. The frame is still in the Wolgan Valley.
Dreadnought frame
Builder's photo of one of these wagons.
(Photo: Birmingham Library)
Dreadnought at Newnes Junction
Wagon stored at Newnes Junction in the 1930s.
(Photo: Late EM Stephens)
"D" pattern 4w open wagons:
Capacity: 10 tons
Count: 10 vehicles
Road and registration numbers: #151 - #160
  • Built by Clyde Engineering Co. Ltd.
  • Similar to government pattern 18ft "D" wagons of that time, but these were built with (cheaper) wooden underframes and split-spoke wheels.
  • When owned by Fell, the "D"s were repainted with a colourful scheme of light grey woodwork, black ironwork and underframe, and yellow lettering shaded in black. This colour scheme was only applied to these wagons.
  • Four vehicles (that were stored at works) were sold to AI&S Port Kembla in 1940.
  • The remaining six were stored at Newnes Junction and Wolli Creek - disposal is not known. At least one of these is suspected to have gone to Yarramundi.
'D' wagon 151
Builder's photo of one of these wagons.
(Photo: Clyde Engineering Archives)
'D' wagon at Newnes Junction
#155 stored at Newnes Junction in the 1930s.
(Photo: Late EM Stephens)
Flat and Low-sided wagons:
Low-sided wagons at Newnes works. Count: unknown
Road numbers: unknown
  • One "dreadnought" wagon cut down and used as a bogie flat car.
  • 4w wagons possibly converted from ex-NSWS&O tank wagons.
  • At least one 4w wagon had low drop-down sides (possibly ex-NSWGR).
  • Stored at works and may have been included with "sundries" purchased by AI&S in 1940.
<--- (left)
Three low-sided and flat wagons at Newnes works c.1938.
From left to right they are:
- Dreadnought wagon cut down to flat car;
- Frame possibly from old ex-NSWS&O tank wagon;
- Low sided wagon, origin unknown .
(Photo: Late EM Stephens)
Return to Top of Page

  Links to the railway pages on this web site:
OVERVIEW LOCOMOTIVES PASSENGER CARS TANK CARS OPEN WAGONS OTHER VEHICLES
Return to HOME PAGE for links to other pages on this web-site.

This page last updated: 30Jun2013