LOCOMOTIVES once used on the WOLGAN VALLEY RAILWAY

What is on this page:
SHAY-GEARED LOCOMOTIVES CONVENTIONAL LOCOMOTIVES HIRED LOCOMOTIVES RUMOURS
Go to the bottom of this page for links to other pages on this web site.

SHAY LOCOMOTIVES:
Locomotive No.1
B/N 1778 of October 1906
65-3 model.
(Model mark as per builder's records, but actual locomotive was similar, in most details, to the 70-3 machines.)
Identifying features: Wooden headstocks; paired sandboxes on tender.
  • This locomotive was scrapped at Newnes during the life of the works and parts were canibalised for use on the remaining locomotives:
  • Boiler was used as a stationary boiler at Newnes, but scrapped c.1956.
  • Tender shell is still at Newnes. (This was moved from works to town station in 1987).
  • Loco frame was used for bearers on a small bridge at the north end of the Long (now "Glow-worm") Tunnel. Bearers are still in place.
  • Bell from this locomotive was used as a fire bell at Clyde refinery. Acquired privately, then later donated for use at Anglican Church, Ainslie, ACT.
Shay Locomotive #1
Shay locomotive No.1,
probably near Newnes Junction prior to 1910.
(Photo: ARHS NSW coln.)
Shay Locomotive #1
Boiler from Shay locomotive No.1
as mounted for stationary use, late 1930s.
(Photo: EM Stephens; ARHS NSW)
Locomotive No.2
70-3 model.
Identifying features: Minor differences only compared to No.3. Fuller supports for headstocks, pipe to rear of air tank to right of smoke-box, rectangular coal bunker.
  • Boiler used at Glen Davis 1940-46, then to a quarry at Bombo and eventually scrapped.
  • Remains at Newnes were scrapped c.1956.
Shay Locomotive #2
Builder's photo of Shay locomotive No.2.
(Photo: Lima Loco Works; PE Percy coln.)
Abandoned Shay Locomotive #2
Shay locomotive No.2 at the works c.1932.
(Photo: CC Singleton; ARHS NSW)
Locomotive No.3
B/N 2100 of July 1908
70-3 model.
Identifying features: Minor differences only compared to No.2. Triangular supports for headstocks, pipe to front of air tank, scalloped cutout on coal bunker behind cab.
  • Boiler used at Glen Davis 1940-46, then to a quarry at Bombo and eventually scrapped.
  • Remains at Newnes were scrapped c.1956.
  • Smoke box number plate still exists in private collection.
Shay Locomotive #3
No.3 at the works in 1938. (Photo: D Davies)
Front of shay Locomotive #3
(right) --->
Front of No.3 at the works in 1937.
(Photo: EM Stephens; ARHS NSW)
Locomotive No.4
B/N 2270 of April 1910
90-3 model.
Identifying features: Larger boiler and other features; locally built tender.
  • Parts removed from 1946 on; remains scrapped at Newnes c.1956.
  • Bell used at Anglican Church, Wallerawang, for some years, now on display at State Mine Museum, Lithgow.
Shay Locomotive #4
An early off-side view of Locomotive No.4.
(Photo: R Marchant coln.)
Shay Locomotive #4
Shay locomotive No.4 abandoned at Newnes in late 1930s
(Photo: EM Stephens; ARHS NSW)
Abandoned Locomotives
Abandoned Shay locos at works, c.1937
Shay locomotives lie abandoned at the works c.1937.
No.4 on right, with No.2 behind; rear of No.3 on left.
(Photo: EM Stephens; ARHS NSW)
Abandoned Shay locos at works, 1951
This was taken in Easter, 1951. This writer (right)
and brother, Keith, stand on what is left of Locomotive No.4.
(Photo: WS Watson)
Return to Top of Page

CONVENTIONAL LOCOMOTIVES:
Kerr Stuart
Kerr Stuart, B/N 780 of 1908
0-6-0 arrangement
  • Sold c.1912 to Hoskins, Lithgow.
  • Later to Port Kembla and AI&S ownership.
Kerr Stuart, AI&S markings
The Kerr Stuart locomotive stored at Port Kembla.
(Photo: EM Stephens; ARHS NSW)
Ex "F"class No.360
Beyer Peacock, B/N 2666 of 1886
2-4-0 arrangement
  • Purchased by Commonwealth Oil Corporation, Ltd, in November 1906.
  • Said to have been first loco into Newnes (unconfirmed).
  • Sent to Torbane by 1907 to replace ex "N" class working there.
  • Stored at Torbane after closure there.
  • Transferred to storage at Newnes Junction in June 1930.
  • Scrapped, c.1940.
F class at Newnes Junction
F360 stored at Newnes Junction in late 1930s.
(Photo: EM Stephens; ARHS NSW)
Return to Top of Page

HIRED LOCOMOTIVES:
No.394
Manning Wardle B/N 32 of 1861

This locomotive was hired to the Commonwealth Oil Corporation, Ltd., in 1907, apparently to be used for construction work on the line to Newnes. However, no photos have been sighted showing it actually in use on this line.
"Q"class, number not known
Beyer Peacock of 1880, number not known.
  • This locomotive appears in a few early photos of the Wolgan Valley railway, but no other details are known.
Q class at Newnes
"Q" class locomotive at the goods shed, Newnes. Newnes station is in the background.
(Photo: H Mow; A. Cargill coln.)
Return to Top of Page

RUMOURS:
Several government locomotives (other than the ones mentioned above) are rumoured to have operated over the Wolgan Valley Railway. While no details are available, it is quite possible that the line to Newnes was used for tests prior to the construction of the Tarana - Oberon and Gilmore - Batlow lines. Both of these government-owned lines were constructed to similar standards of grade and curvature as those found on the line to Newnes.
The late CC Singleton once mentioned to this writer that he was sent to Newnes in the 1930s to investigate the possibility of using those Shay locomotives, that were still workable and still at Newnes, for use on the Oberon, Batlow and Dorrigo lines. The recommendation was not favourable and the matter was dropped.
Return to Top of Page

  Links to the railway pages on this web site:
OVERVIEW LOCOMOTIVES PASSENGER CARS TANK CARS OPEN WAGONS OTHER VEHICLES
Return to HOME PAGE for links to other pages on this web-site.

This page last updated: 18Apr2013