|OLD NEWNES TOWN PHOTO ALBUM|
|Go to the bottom of this page for links to other pages on this web site.|
|The following is a set of photographs of the old town of Newnes, nearly all of which has now disappeared.|
|This shows the main group of shops in the background and,
in the foreground on the other side of the Wolgan River, the railway station.
|Another view of the main group of shops. Today, this area is still privately owned and is fenced, with two white fences marking the shops at each end in this view.|
|Another group of shops was located nearly opposite the present site of the old hotel.
This photo was taken some time during the operating period.
From left to right is a greengrocer, butcher and (in later years) the Lithgow Co-op.
|These buildings were still standing in the 1950s, when this photo was taken.
They were demolished in the 1960s and only the stone cellars of the centre shop
and some other brickwork, remain today.
|There were two schools at Newnes, one built to replace the other.
The first school was in this one-room building located within the works area.
|About 1910, this three room school was built on the hill west of the main
part of town. The two chimneys and some brickwork still stand.
|This is the Anglican Church at Newnes, also used by several other denominations.
It was located on the hill behind the present-day NPWS notice board.
The base of the chimney and the step into the vestry (right) survive today.
|There were two churches at Newnes, the other being St James Catholic Church.
It was located on a freehold block, immediately south of the hotel land.
This area is still privately owned and a shed now stands on the site of the church.
|This is a very early (pre 1910) photo of the railway station yard.
A hired Q-class locomotive stands outside the goods shed at Newnes town station.
In later days, this building was sometimes used as a local hall (for dances, etc.).
The main station is in the background.
The goods shed site is now a popular camping spot.
|Most of the buildings at Newnes were removed and rebuilt elsewhere, usually as recycled building materials
in a new structure. However, the "Engineers House", one of the company owned houses at Newnes, was removed to Portland,
where it was re-erected, as seen here, without any major alterations.
This building has since been "modernised" with aluminium windows.
|Return to Top of Page|
|Links to the photo album pages on this web site:|
|ROAD TO NEWNES||NEWNES AREA||NEWNES TOWN||OIL-SHALE WORKS||GLOW-WORM TUNNEL||NEWNES HOTEL|
|Return to HOME PAGE for links to other pages on this web-site.||Return to SHORT HISTORY OF NEWNES page.|