Legend has it that an Irish Saint came riding across the Irish Sea on a millstone which was washed up on the long sandy beach. The sun was shining, turning the sands to gold so he called the place by the name of the God of the Sun "St Pirus" and over time this became St Piran. Today one of the several chapels built as oratories may be found half buried in the sands.
Droskyn, the name given to the Western end of the bay, appears to be a derivation of "de Roskyn", a Portuguese Count, who is said the have come over in the sixteenth century, landed on Droskyn Point and to have founded a Monastery on the site on which the Hotel pictured above is now standing and incorporates the old monastery walls.
The monastery apparently had many ups and downs and one of the downs being an underground passage that ran through Perranporth on one side to a little bay across the headland. Smuggling, together with tin mining, in those days were the two principal industries; and who knows to what use the underground passage was put. The hotel was at one time reputed to be haunted and was used as an officers' billet for those stationed at the nearby aerodrome during W.W.II.
The building fell into decay and from the ruins the 45 bedroom Hotel was later built. Owned and run by Captain William Noon Munford from 1932 until his death in 1955 aged 71. He was the son of the Rector of the Church at nearby St Allen and an engineer by trade, educated at Blundell's School Tiverton. He married thrice and had a daughter from each of his first two unions and two sons from his third (both of whom ended up in Australia).
Castle Hotel is run as a block of 14 self contained flats.
Home | Contact Us | Back