Road Safety News and Links - Vehicle Safety and Environment 2
SEARCH THIS PAGE - Ctrl-F (Windows) Cmd-F (Mac)
No glitz, hype or ads! This page is designed for easy and quick updating
by me and fast loading by you. It uses plain and simple HTML and,
unlike most fancy web pages these days, it will be cached in your
Browser so don't hestitate to use the Back button. Also you wont see
waiting for a non-caching page to be created on the fly. When 99% of
Internet users are on broadband/cable I might consider fancier pages! Page started 1999.
April 2003: Now using an Apple iMac running Macintosh OS X -
brilliant. No more Windows crashes.
Broken links? There are hundreds of
links on this page, some dating back to the 1990s. Unfortunately there
seem to be hundreds of reasons why IT departments want to change
webpage addresses. My apologies if links no longer work.
For other government sites (all types, anywhere in the world) see the huge
list maintained at GKSOFT.
For research organisations see Consultants.
Top of page
Motoring Organisations (vehicle
safety pages, where readily available)
Other Vehicle Safety Sites (random order - usually newest at
Vehicle Safety Conferences
- 20 Feb 15 ACRS: ARSC2015 - Call for Abstracts - NOW OPEN
- the inaugural Australasian Road Safety Conference (ARSC2015) to be
held at the Gold Coast Convention and Exhibition Centre, Queensland,
Australia, from Wednesday 14 to Friday 16 October 2015.
- Australasian Road Safety Research, Policing and Education Conference
- 2010 Australasian Road Safety Research, Policing and Education Conference, National Convention Centre, Canberra - 31 August to 3 September 2010.
- 2009 Australasian Road Safety Research, Policing and Education Conference: Sydney 11-13 Nov 2009 + ROAD SAFETY 2020: Smart solutions, sustainability, vision: Perth 5-6 Nov 2009 + First International Conference on Intelligent Speed Adaptation: Sydney 10 Nov 2009.
- 2008 Australasian Road Safety Research, Policing and Education Conference: Adelaide 10-12 November 2008
- 2007 Australasian Road Safety Research, Policing and Education Conference was held in Melbourne, 17 - 19 October 2007
of Annual Road Safety Research, Policing and Education Conference
Proceedings (no longer active!)
- Enhanced Safety of Vehicles (ESV - NHTSA site with links to proceedings) - a key biannual
conference on vehicle safety.
- 25th ESV, Detroit, USA 5-8 June 2017 Proceedings are currently here - they might be moved to the NHTSA website eventually.
- 24th ESV, Gothenburg, Sweden 8-11 June 2015
- 23rd ESV Seoul, South Korea 27-30 May 2013
- 22nd ESV, Washington DC June 2011.
- 21st ESV- Stuttgart, Germany 15-18 June 2009.
- 20th ESV - Lyon (France), June 18-21, 2007
- 19th ESV
Conference, Washington, DC, June 6 - 9,
- 18th ESV Conference
- May 19-22, 2003, Nagoya, Japan.
- 17th ESV
Conference 2001 (Netherlands).
- 16th ESV
Proceedings (1998 Windsor)
- 15th ESV
Abstracts (1996 Melbourne) (sorry - no longer available!
Please tell NHTSA if you want
all ESV abstracts/papers available on the Internet)
Research Council on the Biomechanics of Impact.
- SAE World Congress
- March each year (usually Detroit).
- Canadian Multidisciplinary Road Safety Conference Abstracts
from previous conferences.
- The XVII Canadian Multidisciplinary Road Safety Conference
- International Forum on Road Transport Technology (previously International
Symposium on Heavy Vehicle Weights and Dimensions)
- International Symposium on Automotive Lighting - ISAL2007.
September, 25-26 2007 - Darmstadt, Germany (thanks Michael Griffiths)
. 2005 conference.
- 11th IFAC
Symposium on Control in Transportations Systems - August 29th-31th,
2006, Rijkswaterstaat Testcentre / Technical University Delft, The
- 2006 SAE Commercial
Vehicle Engineering Congress and Exhibition, October 31 - November
2, 2006, Rosemont, Illinois.
- 11th European Automotive Congress, EAEC2007 in Budapest 30 May - 1 Jun 2007.
- Saferoads 2006 conference - Melbourne, 7-8 Sept 2006.
- Cambridge Uni (UK): MECHANICS OF HEAVY-DUTY TRUCK SYSTEMS was held at Cambridge University from 23-26 April 2007. The event
was be led by three 'gurus' of heavy vehicle dynamics: Chris Winkler
and Bob Ervin from UMTRI, and Dick Radlinski of LINK Radlinski Inc...
- People Safe In Rollovers Foundation: EMERGENCY WORLD SUMMIT on ROOF CRUSH. Washington DC, 18-20 July 2007.
- 6th European Congress on Intelligent
Transport Systems and Services - Aalborg, Denmark 18-20 June 2007 (Clashes with 20th ESV!)
- ITS Australia: SmartDemo 2007 - 13th to 15th August 2007 - Melbourne
- Australian Intelligent Transport System Summit 2009 - 18-20 Nov, Melbourne.
- ACRS: Infants, Children & Young People & Road Safety Conference - 2-3 August 2007 preceded by a half day seminar on Intelligent Speed Adaptation on 1 August (contact Ian Faulks for details)
- The International Congress of Heavy Vehicles, Road-Trains and Urban Transport will be held in Minsk from 28-31 May 2008 under the patronage of FISITA.
- South Africa: 4th Annual Road Safety Conference - Interventions To Successfully Reduce Road Fatalities By Half By 2014
September 26 - 28, 2007 - Johannesburg, South Africa
- ACRS: Safe Walking: A Colloquium on Pedestrian Safety - Sydney 26th Nov 2007.
- HCTP: The first national conference on best practice management of compensable soft tissue injuries in community settings. Adelaide 23-26 Nov 08.
- ACRS: Motivating behaviour change among high risk road users: What works and what doesn't work? - Brisbane 18-19 Sep 2008.
- Neck injuries in Road Traffic an Prevention Strategies, TUV Akademie, November 18 - 19, 2008, Munich, Germany
- 28‐29 September, 2009, Gothenburg, Sweden, Chalmers Uni: Call for Abstracts - First International Conference on Driver Distraction and Inattention, Abstracts due 15 April, 2009 (thanks Mike Regan)
- 9th National Conference on Injury Prevention and Safety Promotion, 26-28 July 2009, Melbourne.
- Speed, the acclaimed 4th international congress on speed reduction and control - Thursday 17 May 2012, 9am – 4pm, Institute of Mechanical Engineers (IMECHE) London
ITS - Intelligent Transportation Systems
"Anticipation denotes intelligence" - quote from the movie Fifth Element. A major problem with ITS is that it is unable to
HUMAN actions. [organisms] "...take decisions to deal with unforeseen difficulties." (Brian Ford discussing the intelligence of amoeba)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong
is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it
usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.)” (Excerpt
From: Douglas Adams. “Mostly Harmless.” Pan Books 1992)
- ITS Australia
- Intelematics Australia
- ITS America
- NHTSA ITS
Japan (previously VERTIS)
- ERTICO - Europe + eSafety.
World Congress on Intelligent Transport Systems - Sydney 30 Sep - 4
- ISO Technical
- SAE-Aust: Conference
on Intelligent Vehicles and Road Infrastructure to be held at The
University of Melbourne during the period 16th and 17th of February
- Thinking Highways - UK magazine
- Drive - Sydney
Mechanics - Buyers Guide
- AutoSpeed - more
about performance than safety but a good forum to increase road safety
- Vision Zero International
These sites tend to be full of eye-catching graphics (and the URL
frequently changes). They are
slow to load and it is very difficult to narrow in on safety
information unless you go to the specs on
specific models (I gave up trying to find "safety"
Press Releases from Ford US.
Sites with more links
- Crash test partners
Links - Sydney Morning Herald automotive links
automotive links. (dropped)
Automotive Design - hundreds of links (updated URL)
- TrafficLinq -
great search system.
- Red Book.
Top of page
Road Users (these are just a few of many sites on this topic)
Drivers and general
Group of Advanced Motorists (UK)
- Driving On-line (UK)
- National Group Rides And
Designated Drivers - US-based drink drive safety group
Association of Road Rage Experts (New)
- Institute of Driver
Development Western Australia - specialise in the development of
driver training and assessment programs and processes
- Drivers.com with
info about novice drivers and a great Links Page.
- Association for Safe
International Road Travel (ASIRT) provides tips for international
travellers about the risks of road travel in each nation.
- Learn-2-live -UK
- Driving from "L" to "P"
- book by Trevor Hobbs
Safety Website - NSW
- ADVOCATES FOR HIGHWAY
AND AUTO SAFETY (US).
- SpeedImpact -
Victorian organisation highlights the problems on our roads
particularly the speeding/drink/drug driving problems.
- Roadwatch.com.au -
helping drivers avoid fatigue
- Safe rural roads
- Pedestrian Council of
- CARS -
A Road Victim Support Group based in Queensland
Reports - USA
- Driving Plus
Motor School - Adelaide
- Teenagers Road Accident
Group - Victoria
- the Sink - Canadian
- Road Supervisors'
Offenders Program - Australia
- Network of
Employers for Traffic Safety (NETS)
Safe driving tips.
- Prevention Routiere International
+ French organsiation: La Prévention
- Drive and Stay
Alive - USA
- Brake is a UK road
safety charity dedicated to stopping deaths and injuries on roads
through awareness-raising campaigns,
- road safety in South Africa.
- Driver ZED - teenage
- Road 2 Survival
- by Dr Bill Griggs, Director of Trauma Services at
the Royal Adelaide
- ArriveSafe.org and Chandigarh Traffic
Police - India
- New Zealand Campaign
Against Drugs on Roads (CANDOR)
- Green Flag - UK
- Fun and Safe Driving
- Road Safety at Work of GeoLibrary.org
- The DUI Foundation, New York.
- Road Traffic Accidents - UK - advice and support + Bike Devil Net
- Buzzy - award-winning road safety songs by John Chambers
- Suncorp: Queensland Road Safety.
- iPart-4-u:The dangers of using a mobile phone behind the wheel
Effectiveness of Bicycle Helmets:A Review (by Michael Henderson).
and cyclists safety research page - US government.
Pedestrian and Bicycle Safety Research Program.
Top of page
Consultants and Research Organisations in the Vehicle
"An expert is someone brought in
at the last minute to share some of the blame"
Note: Change the AT in
the email address to @
Paine & David Paine - Vehicle Design & Research P/L
Henderson(now retired) - Wikipedia entry
Griffiths Road Safety Solutions P/L
- Tom Gibson
(email), Human Impact
- Ian Faulks
- Dept of
Aerospace, Mechanical and Mechatronic Engineering, The University
- Neura (Lynne
Bilston & Julie Brown)
- SINTA - Special
Interest Network for Transport in Australia - project by UTS.
- Nautitech Australia
- has recently won engineering excellence awards for the VW DCT
transmission and an Australian six speed automatic transmission.
- NRMA Insurance (IAG) Research Centre - Newington, Sydney
- Check-it - Damage and repair assessment
- Vehicle safety compliance cerfication scheme (VSCCS) list of licensed vehicle certifiers. (PDF) - for modified and imported vehicles
- [Institution of] Engineers Australia -
Panel on Biomechanics of Impact Injury (updated URL)
- Centre for
Automotive Safety Research (formerly RARU) The University of
Adelaide (Jack McLean, Robert Anderson). CASR does pedestrian protection tests for ANCAP.
- WHO Collaborating Centre
for the Prevention of Road Traffic Accidents - University of
Western Australia (Delia Hendrie) Note that Tony Ryan has retired but can be contacted by email.
University Accident Research Centre (MUARC - Brian Fildes, Max
Cameron, Stuart Newstead...).
Civil Engineering department does virtual crash simulations. Crashworthiness
& Road Safety - IEAust Warren Medal award winning papers by
Raphael Grzebieta and George Rechnitzer
- DVExperts - George
Rechnitzer and Shane Richardson.
- Melbourne Uni Research
Centre for Advanced By-Wire Technologies (RABIT) - Craig Fletcher (email).
- University of New England (Australia) offers a post
graduate distance education study program in road safety.
Engineering 4221 - a student's assignment.
- ARRB ARRB Transport
Research (formerly Australian Road Research Board) - ARRB
road safety contacts register.
- Centre for
Accident Research and Road Safety - Queensland Uni. Fleet
Safety Report. Dr
- Loadsafe - Richard
- Ian Pettigrew
(email) - Queensland
- Transport Roundtable - Phil Charles
- Bob Pearson
(email) - Victoria
- Mike Upton (email) - Western Australia. Ph 08 9243 7625
- Mechanical System Dynamics
- Hans Prem
- ADVEA Engineering -
Melbourne - Josef Tomas
College of Road Safety - Archive
of Annual Road Safety Research, Policing and Education Conference
- List of consultants who do ADR certifications.
Research New Zealand Limited - Peter Baas, John de Pont
- Rona Kinetics,
Jocelyn Pedder, Canada (email)
- Don Friedman,
USA (email) Xprts - dynamic rollover testing
- Hamilton Associates
more road safety links
Analysis Associates - now Exponent, USA
University Centre for Automotive Safety (Accident Research Centre)
- Loughborough University Vehicle Safety Research Centre - Pete Thomas
- University of Michigan
Transportation Research Institute (UMTRI). Search UMTRI's
extensive library catalogue. Director Peter Sweatman.
- Vehicle Systems
and Safety Program - Pennsylvania State University (Donald A.
Streit, Sean Brennan), USA.
- Automobile Safety
Laboratory - University of Virginia, USA.
University Dept of Engineering & Vehicle/Roads Email
French road safety research (Mike Regan)
- TRL UK road
- Automotive Consulting
Engineers - UK
- Engineering Research(Sweden)
University - School of Mechanical and Vehicular Engineering(Sweden)
- Lund University(Sweden)
Automobile Research Institute.
- KATRI - Korean Automobile Test and Research Institute (Dr Gyuhyun Kim)
- Korean University of Technology & Education: School of Mechatronics Engineering (Prof Young-Han Youn)
- Children's Hospital of Philiadelphia - TraumaLink
publications (Kristy Arbogast, Dennis Durbin, Rajiv Menon, Flaura
Developments - electric vehicles
- Jeanne Breen
(email) - London
- Leonard Evans - Traffic
- Safety and Policy Analysis International - Kathryn Stewart, - NSW office: Ian Faulks Ph: 9487 2727 (sadly Barry Sweedler died on 27 Oct 2009)
- Crashworthy.com - vehicle defect litigation.
- Mechanical Simulation Corporation (Tom Gillespie)
- Yahoo - Automotive
Top of page
This page, and associated pages, are provided for guidance only (it
started out as my own bookmarks). Please check with local road safety
experts for up-to-date information and requirements in your area.
Last update - see News.
Paine (email) Homepage
Background: Not an abstract painting - it's Jupiter!