PROV

Ship


Unassisted Shipping Index

Index of Inward Passenger Lists for British and Foreign Ports 1852-1889


Surname Given Name Age Year Month Ship Port Fiche Page
BEILBY   CHRIST A   30  1876  NOV  ST OSYTH   346 

Records 1 to 1 of 1





Copyright 2001
Public Record Office Victoria   ask.prov@dpc.vic.gov.au


___________________________________________________________

Footnote on the ship St Osyth added by Mark Beilby 17 October 2001

Three large steamships were built in 1874 which despite there names, Whampoa, St Osyth and Hankow, signified a determined entry into the Australian market with regular sailings from London to Australia via  Cape Town which were completed in 42 days. The first sailing by the St. Osyth on the 31st October to Melbourne was on charter to Anderson, Anderson & Co. with a cargo for the Orient Line of Packets. After that the three ships were chartered to John Flint's Colonial Line for triangular voyages, the first sailing being made by the Whampoa on 24th December 1874. The ships would carry a general cargo on the outward leg to Australia then proceed to China in ballast where they would load tea for the homeward run. This arrangement lasted for almost six years and, in effect, the Watts, Milburn vessels were established on the Australian run some years before Milburn introduced vessels in his own right.