The Suzuki GS1000G
The way I see it, it's easier to buy another motorbike than it is to have a mid-life crisis. And considering that the Harley my family gave me for my birthday doesn't get along very well, and this Suzuki came up in conversation with a friend at work, and it was too long since I had a bike anyway, and red is a nice colour, and .......

It's a GS1000G shaft drive from 1981.Some minor modifications are the pod air filters, and the 4-into-1 headers with minimalistic muffler. Then there is the addition of the gear rack and the quarter fairing. The bike is in good condition (you can see a seat repair needed just behind the tank) and the paint is very good, although the low resolution pics here don't show it at its best. Perhaps I'll sacrifice for bigger file size to get better resolution in a future page edit.

The fairing is an after-market cafe-racer style with a cut down screen. The original acrylic screen was damaged when I bought the bike so I cut the top off, painted the remainder black, and added the polycarbonate mini-screen. I got the polycarb from a safety clothing store. It is an industrial face shield replacement. Something larger would have been nicer but this is set up well for wind deflection.

Here's what the screen looks like close-up. I hardly cut anything off the original face-shield to fit it like this. The top/rear edge of the screen is the bottom of the face shield. The shield was slotted to fit a standard head piece and that slotted area has been removed, along with a wedge on each side to narrow the leading edge. It's fastened to the fairing with double-sided automotive tape and a SS screw in each corner. I creased the screen into top and side panels, but if I was to make another I would let it find its own curve.

I have left a large air slot in the leading edge. My first design had the screen more vertical but the buffeting at head level was annoying. Next step was to lay the screen down more. This decreased the buffeting, but it was still too turbulent as air rushed around the edges of the screen and fairing to fill the empty gap behind. I reset the screen with the air slot in the front so controlled air could get behind the screen. With the smooth passage of air under the screen the buffeting stopped. I now have smooth air starting about shoulder level but no real wind on my body or arms. It's a comfortable way to ride considering the upright position that the bike provides.
 

The Stator Cover Repair.

This is a pic of a repair done to the stator cover. Some people have asked me what I did to repair the cover, so here is the answer.

The bike came with side guards which you can see in the top pic. The guards have two problems. First is that they are not strongly mounted. When they hit the ground the mounting bracket bends. The second problem is that there is a vertical centre piece in the design of the guard. On the left side of the bike this piece hits the stator cover when the guard bends.

When the guard hits the cover it pushes it inwards and cracks the metal. Luckily it didn't go in far enough for the cover to contact the rotor. The bike already had a crack in this place when I bought it, and the bent guard had been rubbing against the metal and worn a groove as well. Then I dropped the bike while riding a dirt road (slow corner with lots of gravel build up, a farmer's dog racing to remove my foot, and a bent guard again as I caught the gravel and hit the deck). The guard damaged the repair I had already made and this is the remade repair.

It is done with Selley's metalic cement. When dry it can be filed smooth and the colour matches the original pretty well. The top screw in this photo is the 9 O'Clock position of the stator cover, so the repair is below normal sight line.


Return to the Site Map
Return to the Bike Index