Irish Set dancing classes - the social dancing of the Irish. Come and join the craic!
Newcastle Irish Set Dancers hold classes at The
Place - Charlestown Community Centre in Charlestown (Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia). The group is part of the Newcastle
and Hunter Valley Folk Club. The Place also generously supports the
Note: Links to external websites will open a new window/tab. Newcastle
Irish Set Dancers are not responsible for the content on those pages.
- Cancelled until further notice due to NSW Government restrictions = safe distancing,
- Every Tuesday from 7:15-9:15 pm
- The Place - Charlestown Community Centre – cnr
Frederick & Ferris Sts, Charlestown.
- Downloadable map (PDF) showing how to get to our venue.
- $5 for members of the Newcastle & Hunter Valley Folk Club
/ $6 for non-members.
- More information about timing of the class and costs.
New to Irish Set Dancing? Have a look at our Handy Hints
- Weekly classes cancelled until further notice!
We have classes every week from the start of February through to mid
December (with the exception of the Tuesday immediately following Easter).
Local contributions to the Irish Set Dance community
Two Irish Set dances have been created directly connected to our local group:
- The Charlestown Set was written by our own Julia
Smith and entered into the “New Irish Set Dances” competition conducted at the “Sweets of May” festival in Tralee, Ireland in 2013. This
set is becoming increasingly popular, not only in Australia, but also in Ireland and quite a few other countries. For example, there is
a YouTube video of this set being taught by the Association
Ceili 7 en Vienne.
- The Hunter Valley Set was written by James
Garner (a former member of the Newcastle Irish Set Dancers, now resident in Sydney). It was also entered in the same “New Irish Set
Dances” competition and won the competition! James' set has also been taught at workshops and danced at the occasional ceili.
For more information choose contact one of the teachers:
and Julia Smith
Newcastle Irish Set Dancers are part of the Newcastle and Hunter Valley Folk Club …