Aaron's 1UZ FJ Project
here is my new project... putting a Toyota/Lexus V8 (1UZ-FE) into my FJ
The build-up will be updated on this site every step along the way.
Will the motor fit? Let's hope so! Stay tuned to find out!
Project started Feb 2003.
engine chosen is the Toyota/Lexus quad-cam 4.0L V8.
I decided on this engine for a couple of reasons, the main one....it was something different that as far as i knew, had never been done before. Already owning a VN Commodore i didn't really want ANOTHER 3.8L V6 (as good as they are!) and when it compares to 5.0L or 5.7L Holden V8 it really is a much better engine...being much more refined and smooth as well as having PLENTY of potential. :)
for an engine for almost two months, one was finally purchased in the
form of a Toyota Crown half-cut.
The half-cut was picked up late February and has since been stripped of pretty much everything that is not part of the engine/gearbox/loom.
so yep, that is
what the FJ is looking like, not much at all been happening to it, all
work has been focused on the engine/trans for now.
So once we get the engine/tranny ready we can get the FJ ready to hopefully pop the engine straight in!
Still got a few
things to look into:
how the half-cut is looking...it is pretty much just the engine/gearbox/and-a-whole-heap-of-loom
most of the wiring is disconnected from the engine/gearbox, so they are almost ready to pull out! :)
the next steps are to get the engine/tranny out of the
half-cut, clean them up, take off anything that isn't needed (like power
steering..that's just extra weight!), get the FJ ready by putting in
everything i mentioned above, and hopefully looking into the loom a
little more. More to come.
just a quick update with some pics. the engine is out!!
all we have left now is the engine, gearbox, and a bit of loom...looking good!
now we can start to get the FJ ready as well as cleaning
up the engine itself.
as you can see the engine doesn't look very wide at
the bottom at all now since we've taken off the power steering, A/C,
there is a pic of what we have gotten the loom down to at the bottom. getting there.
as you can see it is looking a LOT neater than how it was in the pic above when it was still in the half-cut!
as you can see from the pics a fair bit of the firewall had to be redone for the engine to sit so low and to give enough clearance for a big radiator.
the stock auto that came with the half-cut is in place with it's original shifter and ready to go once a trans cooler is hooked up.
also, for the engine to fit it needed to have a custom sump made. you can see the RodShop sump in the bottom right picture. very neat. also the steering had to be converted to rear mount in order for the steering to have clearance.
the engine was fitted in still with the original exhaust manifolds as this will save a few $$$ for now. :-)
then the next major
steps will be the diff and tailshaft, brakes and brake system, and a
(FJ, me, Ron, engine, dad)
The whole engine
bay and front-end area has been painted to keep the rust away for
good. Only the rest of the car to go! Will wait for the wiring until
we do this though.
A new diff has
been ordered and put in as well.
October 2004 ~
Front brakes are
290mm (AUIII) discs with Commodore stud pattern, being stopped by
PBR twin-piston callipers.
Check out the small
video at the bottom of this table to see the engine being given a tiny
tiny rev. Still running off nothing but headers so sounds very chunky,
but is as smooth as still.
Click HERE to see a small QuickTime Movie of the engine.
January 2007 ~
Full twin 2"
exhaust system installed with a pipe exiting each side.
As you can see,
there has yet to be a respray or any re-chroming done on the car,
apart from sume basic patch up work.
Seems to drive
not to bad in its current state on the limited testing it has had.
Runs nice a smooth and seems to like reving out as bit as well.
Once that is done and car is signed off, next on the list will be to get a centre console made up and then fitting the CD player and speakers.
Will try to post a video or two soon.
January 2009 ~
The interior was
done back last year also, looks a lot nicer now. Head unit, front speakers,
and guages all sit in the centre console. Cup holders and storage space
in front of the gear stick is golden... cannot do without this.
|Biggest news though
is that the car has finally been given a good test... a very good test.
Was driven up to Beenleigh, Queensland, for the '08 Nationals !
Trip was done in 3 days up (2 half days, 1 full day) and 2 days back.
The boot and back seat / floorspace was all filled to the brim with luggage from the ladies whom were flying up.
Car was a DREAM. No problems at all. No water used, no oil used, no dramas what so ever.
Fuel economy for the run was awsome ! Averaged out to be 10.12L / 100kms.
That is from leaving to driveway at the start of the trip til pulling in the driveway at the end of it.
And that's with a full load and 35 degree days each day.
Engine is still running with original leads and spark plugs also which was a bit of a risk, but seems fine!
Also the whole drive was done with the 2 exhaust cats stuffed. The insides have blown up and are just rattling at the moment. Whether this would of increased or decreased fuel economy.. who knows... get it depends where the honeycomb was sitting.
Sat on the speed limit the whole way up, which is pretty much 100 in VIC and 110 everywhere else.
Is still is in dire need of a respray.
Next on the list though will probably be some rims.
Then it will be off to the quarter mile to see how it goes. Target will be mid to low 14's. Nothing spectacular, but if i can get that i will be more than happy.
©Aaron Read 2007. All rights reserved.